Monday, March 16, 2009

Apperances, Authorship, and Final Good-bye

As we sat there Ryan had began to talk about a new subject once more. He had asked if I’ve ever been on TV or had an appearances anywhere. First, I told Ryan that "Wierd Al" Yankovic had used my name in his song, “White and Nerdy”. I had also made a guest appearance in an episode of “The Simpsons”. The episode was titled, “They Saved Lisa’s Brain” and my role was to stop Springfield's greedy chapter of the Mensa Society from taking over the town. I had also made a guest appearance on the TV program, Star Trek, where I was portrayed as a hologram. I also appeared in Family Guy, where I spoke with a synthesizer, as well as the Fairly Odd Parents on the Nickelodeon channel. Many people also know information about me because I took part in an interview titled, Stephen Hawking, Master of the Universe.
I then went on to tell Ryan that I am a well-known author. As many people might say my most-known or best seller is called A Brief History of Time. In this book I tried to explain to ordinary people the subjects of cosmology, black holes, Big Bang Theory, light cones, and I also included mathematics within the book. It has sold over 9 million copies and was later made into a film. I also wrote and published A Briefer History of Time, which is an updated and rewritten version of the original, A Brief History of Time. Other works of mine include, The Universe in a Nutshell, Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, and Georgia’s Secret Key to the universe, which is a children’s book.
Ryan then asked if I had won any awards. Not to brag, but yes I have. In 1975 I won the Eddington Medal, in 1976 I received the Hughes Medal of the Royal Society, and in 1979 I won the Albert Einstein Medal. Some of the other large medals I won include, a Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1985, The Companion of Honour in 1989, and the Copley Medal of the Royal Society in 2006.
So this was it. My entire life, awards, and discoveries had all been discussed with Ryan. I told Ryan that I hope we will be able to meet here in the future, not to talk about my life history, but to talk about anything in his life or my own. Ryan stood up, said his good-bye, and walked to the parking lot. I sat there under the tree, in my wheelchair, until the sun had set. I thought to myself what a wonderful and dedicated young man Ryan was.

No comments:

Post a Comment